Functions of Management
The Freeport is managed by the Freeport of Riga Authority. The highest decision-making body of the Freeport of Riga Authority is the Board. The administrative staff of the Freeport of Riga Authority is managed by the Chief Executive Officer.
The main functions performed by the Freeport of Riga Authority are as follows:
- to determine port fees and tariff ceiling;
- to ensure the collection of port fees and lease (rental) payments;
- to determine the guarding and pass arrangements in the territory of the Freeport;
- to, within its competence, monitor the compliance with the Freeport Regulations;
- to, within its competence, monitor the compliance of operations of undertakings (companies) located in the Freeport with laws and regulatory enactments of the Cabinet and the By-law of the relevant port Authority;
- to control the protection of the territory of the Freeport against pollution, ensure rectification of the consequences of pollution in the Freeport and participate in rectification of the consequences of pollution in the sea as well as organise the acceptance of waste and polluted water, prepare a plan for the management of ship created waste. The Cabinet shall determine the procedures for the acceptance of ship created waste and polluted water, and the procedures for preparation of management plans for ports in respect of ship created waste;
- to ensure winter navigation in the Freeport in accordance with the procedures formulated by the Latvian Maritime Administration and confirmed by the Minister of transport;
- determine ISPS Code requirements fulfillment and monitor the activities of the organizations located in port, in accordance with the port equipment safety plans;
- take decision on issuing permission to start the planned activities on the port territory pursuant to the law “On Assessment of Impact on Environment”.
- formulate a draft program for development of the port in conformity with the approved development concept for the ports of Latvia and development program of the relevant municipality and land management plan of the area;
- ensure the implementation of the program for port development adopted by the Latvian Port Council;
- manage the property transferred to its possession - hydrotechnic structures, fairways, navigation equipment and devices in the port, as well as the aquatorium and navigation devices in management districts specified by the Ministry of Transport, as well as infrastructure related to the port activities;
- formulate and approve draft estimates for the utilisation of financial resources, in accordance with the procedures prescribed by the by-law of the port authority, for the next calendar year and the subsequent five years and, if necessary, update the prospective draft estimates for the utilisation of financial resources submitted in the previous year;
- organize construction work in the port and construction of infrastructure, related to the activities of the port, in the territory of the port in conformity with the development program of the port;
- perform research regarding the demand for and supply of the port services;
- enter into contracts with undertakings (companies) regarding their activities in the port, in order to ensure and improve the package of port services in accordance with the By-laws of the port authority and the port development program;
- within the scope of its authority, manage the land of the port and the State or local government property located on it and transferred to the possession of the port authority; and
- provide for the maintenance and development of the infrastructure, owned by it or transferred to its possession, participate in the development of infrastructure related to the activities of the port.